Recently, I was at a liturgy with what appeared to be some unsponsored catechumens. Perhaps they had sponsors, and the sponsors were just absent that day. Still, I wondered how that happened. In sponsor training sessions, it is important to emphasize the crucial role sponsors play on Sundays. Here are nine tasks for sponsors to attend to when caring for their catechumens on the Lord’s Day.
- Pick up your catechumen for Mass or meet him or her at the entrance to the church. The catechumen shouldn’t have to walk into church alone.
- If your catechumen misses Mass, make a follow up call on Sunday afternoon.
- If you have to miss Mass, find a substitute to be with your catechumen.
- Show your catechumen how to bless him or herself with holy water from the font.
- Introduce your catechumen to at least one new parishioner each Sunday.
- Show your catechumen how to genuflect and bow. If the tabernacle is in the sanctuary, behind the altar, you would genuflect before entering your pew. If the tabernacle is off to the side or in a separate space, you would bow to the altar before entering your pew.
- Show your catechumen how to use the parish worship aid or hymnal.
- Always sing and respond to the ritual dialogue to provide a good example for the catechumen.
- After Mass, join your catechumen for the catechetical gathering. If there is no catechetical gathering, touch base and say goodbye before going home.
What’s missing? Can you think of other tasks for sponsors? Add to the list by clicking on the comments link below.
5 thoughts on “9 tasks for RCIA sponsors on Sunday”
Tell the catechumen or candidate what other ministries you are involved with at church and why.
Great idea James! Thanks for commenting.
If the community gathers for coffee or breakfast, the sponsor can invite the catechumen or candidate and use it as an opportunity to meet and visit with other parishioners.
Make sure you are a good friend and not because you
are their sponsor. If you see them in town or were
ever always say hello and how are things going in their life since they came into the church You know what I
Encourage your sponsors to occasionally meet with their Catechumen/Candidate apart from regular sessions and away from the church. It’s s amazing what conversations can happen over a cup of coffee – or a glass of wine!