In a recent Community Chat, TeamRCIA discussed the many ways the baptismal priesthood is the primary agent of formation for the inquirers, catechumens, elect, and baptized candidates. There were a lot of questions about where to find resources to help parishioners “do Lent” in such a way that they also accompany the seekers on their journey of faith.
Resources on the rites
For several years our parish Liturgy Committee has used a wonderful annual resource from the Federation of Diocesan Liturgical Commissions. The resource includes:
- A full presider text for a celebration of a Rite of Reconciliation of Several Penitents with Individual Confession and Absolution
- Sample Penances
- Music Suggestions
- Frequently asked questions about Lent and the Triduum
- A liturgical Planning Calendar
- Lectionary Citations for Year C
- Preparation sheets for the rites belonging to the Period of Purification and Enlightenment
- Preparation Sheets for the Sacred Triduum
I have found that the text for the Rite of Reconciliation of Several Penitents are easily adapted for our Lenten gatherings for Christian initiation. The sample penances do not have to be restricted to confession. These are ways all of us can deepen our conversion. A few years ago our whole parish liturgy committee prayed with an adapted rite.
The frequently asked questions about Lent and the Triduum page and the liturgical calendar pages are a treasure for catechists, and initiation ministers.
The section on the rites belonging to the period of purification and enlightenment is excellent. The “planning” is done and our specific preparation flows easily from the outlines given, And the Easter Vigil is outlined in an incredibly helpful way; the sequence for the entire service is there.
Check out this wonderful resource. The Liturgical Preparation Aid: Lent, Triduum, and Easter 2022 is free to download and use. Click here.
What resources does your catechumenate team need this Lent?
TeamRCIA Training Resources
In addition, check out these resources from TeamRCIA for your Lenten preparations:
- 51 RCIA resources for Lent
- 17 frequently asked questions about Lent
- Reflection Questions for RCIA Seekers — 3rd Sunday in Lent to 5th Sunday in Lent, Year A
- A Preparation Rites retreat for the elect on Holy Saturday (free retreat outline)
- 32 best RCIA practices for Easter Vigil
- Six common RCIA questions about Easter Vigil
- A three-step Triduum evaluation
Being involved in the liturgical life of the parish is an integral part of being involved in Christian Initiation. What’s that song by Frank Sinatra, about love and marriage—you can’t have one without the other! Liturgy and catechesis are necessarily woven together into the fabric of mission and ministry.
What resources would you like to see for the season of Lent? Share your thoughts in the comments below.